mirc...@sjtu.edu.cn wrote:
Dear All:

I am using GROMACS package to do molecular dynamics simulations under OPLS_AA force field. I encounter some problems when preparing the topology files of small molecules (ligands).My questions are as follows:

1, how to chose the atom type of each atom from the ligands?

2, how to define the charges of each atom? I know that, when the atom type is defined, there will be a corresponding charge to this atom type. Does it safe to use this charge in the simulations on the ligands (since these charges are designed for amino acids)?

Proper parameterization is a difficult task.  See, for instance:

http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/How-tos/Parameterization

3,When the atom type and the charge of atom are defined, how to prepare the file in the GROMACS format? Does there easier method to prepare such files than manually?

There is at least one script (topolgen.pl) in the User Contributions section of the Gromacs site, but it is not terribly intelligent and the resulting topology should not be viewed as something that you should use without proper validation.

http://www.gromacs.org/Downloads/User_contributions/Other_software

Otherwise, break out Chapter 5 of the manual (something you should probably do anyway) and your favorite text editor.

-Justin

Thank you very much for your time and your kindness. I really appreciate if any one can share their experience in preparing the topology files for ligands used under OPLS_AA force field and GROMACS package.

Sincerely Yours

Ruo-Xu Gu

MILES-IGERT Trainee