Moeed wrote:
Hello Justin,

Thanks.

1- I changed the setting below because of the note I used to get:

NOTE 1 [file aminoacids.dat, line 1]:
  The optimal PME mesh load for parallel simulations is below 0.5
  and for highly parallel simulations between 0.25 and 0.33,
  for higher performance, increase the cut-off and the PME grid spacing

I'm guessing this pertains to your "expanded" system, before you've obtained an optimum density? If so, you're only going to be losing performance for some simulations, but not all. It also depends on just how bad the load imbalance is. If you can set it such that you can easily specify -npme to match the PP:PME ratio, then you shouldn't be hurt too badly.

Also, earlier on I read one of your messages about the trade off between accuracy and speed for this setting and that no systematic study has been done how exactly accuracy is changing. I actually need to work with systems with 40 000 atoms or even more and electrostatics slows down my runs to a great extent. Can you please give an idea on to what extent the accuracy affects the result say for fourierspacing = 0.2 . I mean it affects second decimal or...? I need to go for a setting which

You may want to look into g_tune_pme. It should provide this sort of information. There was also some discussion about this just a few weeks ago, but I don't have the time or desire to go rooting through the list archive at the moment.

speeds up calculations as much as possible while being reasonable. How would you deal with this? What value would you pick?

Ideally, one that is well-tested and that you can defend to a critical audience. If 0.12 is standard, and I have no desire to experiment with accuracy, I tend to stick with that :)

-Justin

Thank you,
moeed

fourierspacing = 0.3

    You're setting yourself up for inaccurate PME calculations with
    this.  Use 0.1 - 0.12 unless you've got some compelling reason to
    decrease your accuracy.

    -Justin

-- ========================================

    MILES-IGERT Trainee
    jalemkul[at]vt.edu <http://vt.edu> | (540) 231-9080

    Please don't post (un)subscribe requests to the list. Use the www
    interface or send it to gmx-users-requ...@gromacs.org
    <mailto:gmx-users-requ...@gromacs.org>.

Moeed Shahamat
Graduate Student (Materials Modeling Research Group)
McGill University- Department of Chemical Engineering
Montreal, Quebec H3A 2B2, Canada
Web:http://mmrg.chemeng.mcgill.ca/pages/current-group-members/moeed-shahamat.php