On 23/03/2011 3:39 PM, Elisabeth wrote:
Thanks Mark for the hints. I am using a pre equilibrated box for both runs. Can you again explain how Can I interpret this from fluctuations from two runs? Below is the resutls from two versions: Thanks!

IIRC the contents of the .edr file didn't change across these versions, but the reporting of computed quantities did, so I'd make my life simpler and use only the 4.5.3 g_energy.

Both simulations have a much higher value for the root-mean-squared deviation from the average (i.e. standard deviation) than for the average. So that means your data set looks something like "10000 20 6543 200 23444 23434 15 500 3444". Look at the .xvg file that is produced. You need a heck of a lot of such data to have confidence that your sample average reflects the true average. If you haven't got that pile of data, then you haven't observed the average with any confidence. This is normal for quantities computed from fluctuations in atomic positions. They're macroscopic quantities, and have to be observed over a lot of microscopic configurations.

Be sure to check visually that your system is doing what you hope it is doing.

Mark

4.0.7

Statistics over 733801 steps [ 0.0000 thru 1467.6001 ps ], 1 data sets
All averages are exact over 733801 steps

Energy Average RMSD Fluct. Drift Tot-Drift
#Surf*SurfTen 203.778 3623.99 3623.98 -0.00203751 -2.99026

Statistics over 483401 steps [ 500.0000 thru 1466.8000 ps ], 1 data sets
All averages are exact over 483401 steps

Energy Average RMSD Fluct. Drift Tot-Drift
#Surf*SurfTen 203.129 3612.58 3612.28 0.168686 163.086
4.5.3

Statistics over 732501 steps [ 1.0000 through 1466.0000 ps ], 1 data sets
All statistics are over 73251 points

Energy                      Average   Err.Est.       RMSD  Tot-Drift
#Surf*SurfTen 2374.49 570 21081.3 -3251.38 (bar nm)

Statistics over 384501 steps [ 1000.0000 through 1769.0000 ps ], 1 data sets
All statistics are over 38451 points

Energy                      Average   Err.Est.       RMSD  Tot-Drift
#Surf*SurfTen 2610.25 1000 21109.9 4638.38 (bar nm)

Statistics over 483001 steps [ 500.0000 through 1466.0000 ps ], 1 data sets
All statistics are over 48301 points

Energy                      Average   Err.Est.       RMSD  Tot-Drift
#Surf*SurfTen 1645.07 390 20288.3 -174.289 (bar nm)