On 29/03/2011 4:54 AM, Sai Pooja wrote:
There was a typo in the mail:
E_protein-protein = Potential - E_water-water - E_protein-water

On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 11:55 AM, Sai Pooja <saipo...@gmail.com <mailto:saipo...@gmail.com>> wrote:

    Hi,

    I have tried to implement a variant of Replica exchange called
    REST using gromacs. In REST, the potential energy is scaled in the
    following manner:

    For the nth replica:

    E_n = E_protein-protein + a_n * E_protein-water + b_n * E_water-water

    I used tables to implement this. Separate tables for the three
    components were generated with the corresponding scaled
    potentials. Then for replica exchange I use gromacs to run MD for
    1ps then extract the Energy corresponding to the three components
    using g-energy and exchange replicas based on the acceptance
    criteria outlined in the paper.

    E_water-water = LJ_water-water + Coulomb_water-water
    E_protein-water = LJ_protein-water + Coulomb_protein-water
    E_protein-protein = Potential - E_protein-protein - E_protein-water

    Is there some obvious error in this implementation? I use CHARMM
    forcefield with tip3p water and alanine dipeptide. The paper uses
    OPLS-AA with tip4p and is able to use 3 replicas -300k, 420k,
    600k. I am not able to reproduce these results i.e. the same
    acceptance ratio with 3 replicas. 5 replicas gives something close
    to the desired acceptance ratio.

The exchange ratio depends on the overlap integral of the distributions of the potential energy. To have a chance of reproducing their work, you need to use similar numbers of degrees of freedom (i.e. number of atoms) so that the ratio of width/average of your distributions is similar.