On 2011-04-26 19.38, Xiaohu Li wrote:
Hi, gromacs developers,
It seems that there is a bug regarding the angular moment removal. This
may not be very important for many users since most of them are doing
PBC where it is irrelevant, but if you are doing cluster or if you
really care the angular momentum like I
do(I want the angular momentum to be exactly zero since this corresponds
to some quantum resolved state), then it is important.
The angular momentum removal part in mdlib/vcm.c where it evaluate
moment of inertia is wrong, subroutine *update_tensor.
*Specifically, the diagonal part is not calculated right. According to
either */Classical Mechancs, by Goldstein or Theoretical Mechanics of
Particles and Continua, by A.L.Fetter and J.D.Walecka.
I_{xx}=\sum_{i} m_{i}*(r_{i}^2-x_{i}^2), where x can be x,y,z.
But the /**update_tensor gives
**/I_{xx}=\sum_{i} m_{i}*(x_{i}^2).
/*/I initially thought there could be some other routine to correct
update_tensor, but apparently, it is calculated according to that, and I
manually calculated them and turns out my theory is right, the
update_tensor is wrong as it stands.
/Again, this would not affect, say, 99.999% of the user, but it will
always be good to have a clean code.
Thanks
I found the eqn. in Goldstein p 195. I guess this takes care of the center of mass contribution. So if you center your system in the origin at time zero the present code should still work. However, we really should subtract the center of mass.

/

/Xiaohu/
/

Box 596, 75124 Uppsala, Sweden. Phone:  +46184714205.
sp...@xray.bmc.uu.se    http://folding.bmc.uu.se