On 4/28/2011 10:25 PM, Justin A. Lemkul wrote:

Ehud Schreiber wrote:
Dear Gromacs users,

I wish to convert PDB files to gromacs format while specifying the topology;

That is not the role of pdb2gmx. pdb2gmx generates a topology that matches a configuration (which could be in one of many file formats), and (as a side effect) produces a "cleaned up" version of that configuration (which again could be in one of many file formats).

If you already have your configuration and a .top file that has one or more [moleculetype] sections that match the molecules present in your configuration, you do not need pdb2gmx.

Perhaps this will help you reconsider whether your workflow is appropriate.

Mark

however, in the pdb2gmx program, a .top file can only be an output, not an input.

The need arises as I have an NMR PDB structure (including hydrogens) which I rather violently perturb into multiple PDB structures using some non-gromacs means. When I convert those structures to .gro using pdb2gmx, sometimes the protonation state of Histidine is guessed incorrectly by the program (the hydrogen moves between HD1 and HE2).

If the atoms are properly named, I don't see how this is possible, unless you're using the -ignh option. If the atomic coordinates are severely skewed, you should at least get a warning about long bonds.

Does anybody have a suggestion what can I do? I need the process to be automatic and so can’t use the interactive -his option.

So is the .top the same in all cases, and you're just altering coordinates? If so, pdb2gmx is not necessary at all. Just use the .top you want in conjunction with any of the .pdb files. But perhaps I've missed the point. There is definitely no way to input a .top into pdb2gmx since its principal function is to produce such a file.

-Justin

Thanks,

Ehud.