On 9/05/2011 2:01 PM, Dimitar Pachov wrote:
Hi,

On Sat, May 7, 2011 at 9:45 PM, Justin A. Lemkul <jalem...@vt.edu <mailto:jalem...@vt.edu>> wrote:

    Please clarify - do you wish to maintain the original triclinic
    representation (as -ur tric does) or do you wish to see the
    octahedral representation (as -pbc mol -ur compact gives)?  My
    answer was based on your request to "keep the original unit shape."

My original representation is truncated octahedron. Gromacs requires triclinic vectors and does not care about unit cell shape at the moment the md code starts. I wanted to keep MY original unit shape.

    For complicated systems (or sometimes even for simple ones), it is
    quite common that multiple iterations of trjconv are necessary.  A
    suggested workflow is indeed documented:

http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/Terminology/Periodic_Boundary_Conditions#Suggested_trjconv_workflow

    The documentation must remain somewhat generic, as there are a
    number of specialty systems that can be considered.

I thought the guidelines given by the trjconv specific manual were sufficient. I don't understand why people don't put this suggested workflow in the trjconv manual. It is confusing otherwise. It never came to me that one needed multiple usages of trjconv in order to achieve recentering around solute.

Fair point. I've updated the trjconv documentation to provide this hint and a suggestiong to consult the webpage.

I followed these instructions and got what I wanted. Basically, this was my quick workflow:

=================================
psfinname="$prot-$shape-$flc"
topfile="$prot-$shape-$flc.top"
grofile="$shape-$fl-eq.gro"
inpfile="md.mdp"

name="run1"
newname="run1-recen"
indexfile="index-all.ndx"
tclfile="extr-frame-traj.tcl"

s="Protein-Nucleo"
indsolute=`cat $indexfile | awk -v site=$s '$1=="["{i++}$2==site{print i-1}'`
cp $name.xtc $newname.xtc

#===> 1
intraj="$newname.xtc"
outtraj="traj/$newname-whole.xtc"
trjconv -f $intraj -s $name.tpr -n $indexfile -o $outtraj -pbc whole > log1 2>&1 <<EOF1
0
EOF1
#===> 2
intraj="$outtraj"
outtraj="traj/$newname-cluster.xtc"
trjconv -f $intraj -s $name.tpr -n $indexfile -o $outtraj -pbc cluster > log2 2>&1 <<EOF2
$indsolute
0
EOF2
#===> 3
intraj="$outtraj"
outtraj="traj/$newname-nojump.xtc"
trjconv -f $intraj -n $indexfile -o $outtraj -pbc nojump > log3 2>&1 <<EOF3
0
EOF3
#===> 4
intraj="$outtraj"
outtraj="traj/$newname-center.xtc"
trjconv -f $intraj -n $indexfile -o $outtraj  -center > log4 2>&1 <<EOF4
$indsolute
0
EOF4
#===> 5
## Get first frame from centered .xtc
fr=1
pdbfilename="`echo $outtraj | awk 'BEGIN{FS="."}{print $1}'`"
pdbfile="$pdbfilename-${fr}ps.pdb"
`which vmd` -dispdev text -e $tclfile -args $fr ${pathpsfin}/${psfinname}.psf $outtraj $pdbfilename > /dev/null

cat $pdbfile | sed 's/TIP3/SOL /' | sed 's/ OH2 SOL/ OW SOL/' | sed 's/ H1 SOL/ HW1 SOL/' | sed 's/ H2 SOL/ HW2 SOL/' | sed 's/ SOD SOD/ NA NA /g' | sed 's/ CLA CLA/ CL CL /g' | sed 's/ HT1 MET/ H1 MET/' | sed 's/ HT2 MET/ H2 MET/' | sed 's/ HT3 MET/ H3 MET/' > $pdbfilename-${fr}ps-renamed.pdb

grompp -f $inpfile -c $pdbfilename-${fr}ps-renamed.pdb -n $indexfile -p $topfile -o $newname-center.tpr > log5 2>&1
#===> 6
intraj="$outtraj"
outtraj="traj/$newname-compact.xtc"
trjconv -s $newname-center.tpr -f $intraj -n $indexfile -o $outtraj -pbc mol -ur compact > log6 2>&1 <<EOF6
0
EOF6

However, it seems a long process, and if I have a large number of trajectories, it might not be feasible. I actually do not know if all steps are necessary. Particularly, I did step #5 just to get a new *tpr file from the centered trajectory ... Is there a way to do that in a simpler way within Gromacs?

What steps are necessary depends what your purpose is. trjconv -dump should do step #5. What are you generating the centered trajectory for? What are you generating another .tpr for?