Do you have some experimental data to compare to your IDP simulations, like X-ray scattering or some such? I'd imagine that IDP simulations with either forcefield would only be qualitatively accurate given that the forcefields are calibrated, as you say, on rigid proteins and small molecules.

On 6/8/11 8:00 AM, Thomas Evangelidis wrote:
Dear Prof van der Spoel and GROMACS users,

I have read the article "Scrutinizing Molecular Mechanics Force Fields..." where it is demonstrated that AMBER99sb yields protein conformations that are in better agreement with residual dipolar coupling, J-coupling and NOE data, compared with other force fields. However, both proteins used for this benchmark study (ubiquitin and protein G) are rather rigid, so I was wondering if there is a similar analysis for flexible proteins/peptides. I want to simulate a few intrinsically disordered proteins/peptides of length between 40 and 100 aa and would like to know what would be the best choice of force field to use. Any experience or knowledge on this matter would be greatly appreciated!

thanks in advance,
Thomas

On 27 May 2011 19:01, David van der Spoel <sp...@xray.bmc.uu.se> wrote:
On 2011-05-27 17.50, simon sham wrote:
Hi,
I have recently done two simulations on a protein at high temperature
near its melting temperature. At the beginning I used CHARMM forcefield,
and then OPLSAA to double check the results. There are some differences
in the structures between the forcefield used. I know different
forcefields can give different results. All parameters in the
simulations were the same except the forcefield. Is there anyway I can
tell which forcefield gives more reliable results?

Thanks for the insights,

Simon

You might want to check

Oliver Lange, David van der Spoel and Bert de Groot: Scrutinizing Molecular Mechanics Force Fields on the Microsecond Timescale With NMR Data Biophys. J. 99 pp. 647-655 (2010)

where we compare a number of FFs to NMR data.

Box 596, 75124 Uppsala, Sweden. Phone:  +46184714205.
sp...@xray.bmc.uu.se    http://folding.bmc.uu.se

Thomas Evangelidis

PhD student

Biomedical Research Foundation, Academy of Athens

4 Soranou Ephessiou , 115 27 Athens, Greece

email: tev...@bioacademy.gr

          teva...@gmail.com

website: https://sites.google.com/site/thomasevangelidishomepage/

--