On 21/06/2011 3:43 PM, Kavyashree M wrote:
Sir,

     I am extremely sorry for this question again :(
but I wanted to know this violation exists only in
first 50ns but after that even though there appears
to be a point of violation its only 1.39nm which is
o0.01nm less than the cut off which I hope does
not cause serious trouble (as the minimum bond
length is of the order of 1 Angs) So can I make use
of this part of trajectory?

The purpose of the minimum image convention is to help model the real conditions under which your protein exists. The usual case is one of (effectively) infinite dilution. However, if you have a protein atom that is influenced by an atom of a periodic image of the protein, then you are not close to modeling infinite dilution. Arguably, a water atom that can see two different periodic images is also unrealistic, but probably this will be a lower-order effect, and vary from case to case.

So as soon as you get a violation, further data about your system is tainted from the previous existence of unrealistic conditions. Even just looking at the first part of the simulation before the violation (assuming it has equilibrated properly so far) is questionable, because you have imposed on its ensemble the restriction that it cannot grow larger than a given diameter for a given orientation. It's up to you to judge whether the effect is small enough to ignore, and that depends on lots of things we can't know.

There exist a large number of areas of biomolecular simulations where our inability to exhaustively sample ensembles has limited our ability to quantify the size of various effects. The effect of violations of minimum-image conventions on proteins is one of those areas.

The important lesson here is that doing a simulation blindly runs a large risk of wasting resources. Ongoing attention to lots of details is important. As in many fields of human endeavour, there are lots of lessons that have been written in the blood of unfortunate people before you. In research, there will be lessons written in your blood. The trick is to learn from the former in order to minimize the latter :-)