Steven Neumann wrote:

On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 3:44 PM, Justin A. Lemkul <jalem...@vt.edu <mailto:jalem...@vt.edu>> wrote:

    Steven Neumann wrote:

        On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 2:39 PM, Justin A. Lemkul
        <jalem...@vt.edu <mailto:jalem...@vt.edu>
        <mailto:jalem...@vt.edu <mailto:jalem...@vt.edu>>> wrote:

           Steven Neumann wrote:

               Hi Gromacs Users,
                I have calculated hydrogen bonds and collisions between my
               ligands and every single residue using g_hbond. Looking
        at the
               criteria adpoted by Gromacs I found impossible that number of
               hydrogen bonds were higher than number of collisions...
        And what
               is interesting in one of my residue I obtained result like
               this... All Hbonds with Glycine - 1872, All Collisions 704.
                Does anyone know how is it possible?
           I don't know how any of your numbers are possible (1872 H-bonds
           forming with a glycine?), or what you are defining as a collision
           and how you calculated it. Please provide the exact commands that
           you're using.  If you're equating a contact (e.g. from g_mindist)
           with a collision, then realize that the default criteria for a
           contact are very different than the geometric criteria for a
           hydrogen bond.

           -Justin

           --     ==============================____==========

           MILES-IGERT Trainee
           jalemkul[at]vt.edu <http://vt.edu/> <http://vt.edu/> | (540)
        231-9080 <tel:%28540%29%20231-9080>
           <tel:%28540%29%20231-9080>

           http://www.bevanlab.biochem.
        <http://www.bevanlab.biochem./>____vt.edu/Pages/Personal/justin
        <http://vt.edu/Pages/Personal/justin>

           http://www.gromacs.org/____Support/Mailing_Lists/Search
        <http://www.gromacs.org/__Support/Mailing_Lists/Search>
           <http://www.gromacs.org/__Support/Mailing_Lists/Search
        <http://www.gromacs.org/Support/Mailing_Lists/Search>> before
        posting!
           Please don't post (un)subscribe requests to the list. Use the www
           interface or send it to gmx-users-requ...@gromacs.org
        <mailto:gmx-users-requ...@gromacs.org>
           <mailto:gmx-users-request@__gromacs.org
        <mailto:gmx-users-requ...@gromacs.org>>.

           Can't post? Read
        http://www.gromacs.org/____Support/Mailing_Lists
        <http://www.gromacs.org/__Support/Mailing_Lists>
           <http://www.gromacs.org/__Support/Mailing_Lists
        <http://www.gromacs.org/Support/Mailing_Lists>>

         My system is made of 10 ligands and one protein. I used command:
         g_hbond -f md.trr -s md.tpr -n res91.ndx -num 91with10LIGbonds.xvg
         Where I specified in the index file two groups: 10 ligands and
        Glycine residue. So I have calculated hbonds (second column) and
        collisions (third column) and then I made a sum of all frames
        during 100 ns simualtion time (one frame every 50 ps) obtaining
        1872 hbonds and 703 collisions between Glycine and 10 ligands. I
        did it with every residue to assess binding affinity of
        different amino acids.

    I forgot to mention in the previous message that there is no value
    in summing the hydrogen bonds over time.  Some of those H-bonds may
    be distinct, and others may be the same H-bond that has broken and
    subsequently re-formed.  I doubt anyone would find real value in
    saying that 10 ligands formed 1872 H-bonds with glycine over a
    trajectory.

    -Justin

Obviosuly, but it can provide you some information about binding affinity - some ligands remains close to some residues longer than the others so by sum of this values you can assess residues with higher binding affinity.

The average number of hydrogen bonds over time will tell you the same thing, with much greater precision. There are a maximum number of H-bonds that glycine can participate in, since it only has backbone groups to contribute, so if you find that, on average, there are 2.5 out of a possible 3 H-bonding sites occupied, then yes, it is a strong interaction. Using some non-physical metric will probably get you in trouble with reviewers. It's up to you to justify what you're doing, but summing potentially redundant information doesn't make sense to me.

MILES-IGERT Trainee