On 23/09/2011 4:37 PM, Sumanth M. Kumar wrote:
Hi everyone,
I did a simulation in an amazon cluster with 7.5 GB memory and 4 EC2 Compute Units (2 virtual cores with 2 EC2 Compute Units each) and it was done with 0.5ns/day. Now Im running a simulation in another amazon cluster of 7 GB of memory and 20 EC2 Compute Units (8 virtual cores with 2.5 EC2 Compute Units each), but still the speed is same even if i use "mpirun -np 8" with the mdrun, and finally its taking the same time as 2core system, i.e. 0.5ns/day. I would like to know whether I should make any changes during compilation? I had enabled mpirun while compiling GROMACS. Do I need to make any changes, so that it will consider all the 8 processors?

Virtual cores are useless for GROMACS because it saturates the processor pipelines on its own (though Intel's hyperthreading from 5-6 years ago was an exception). You need real cores, and to configure MPI to assign processes 1-to-1 to real cores. The details will be up to you and your system admins. You don't need to do anything with GROMACS other than configure with MPI.

Mark

Thank you very much.
Sumanth

--