Anna Marabotti wrote:
Dear gmx-users,
I have a protein with 5 different ligands. For each system I made 30ns simulation and I calculated the lifetime of the H-bonds between protein and ligand with the command: g_hbond -f traj.xtc -s topol.tpr -hbm hbmap.xpm -hbn hbond.ndx -ac hbac.xvg -life hblife.xvg During all calculations, the printout of the command gave the same warning:

WARNING: Correlation function is probably not long enough

because the standard deviation in the tail of C(t) > 0.001

and as a matter of fact, the tail of C(t) (average C(t) over second half of acf) reported below this warning was always > 0.001, generally comprised between 0.45 and 0.74 with two exceptions: a value of 0.02+/-0.03 and a value of 0.04+/-0.01.

The warning doesn't complain about the value of C(t), it is telling you that the standard deviation in the value is unacceptable.

Therefore, I'm asking if the forward values considered as lifetimes are reliable or not, and in case, what can I do to avoid this warning.

I can't directly comment on this, but it would seems as if the values are not adequately converged.

-Justin

Thank you very much and best regards

Anna

Anna Marabotti, Ph.D.
Laboratory of Bioinformatics and Computational Biology
Institute of Food Science, CNR
Via Roma, 64
83100 Avellino (Italy)
Phone: +39 0825 299651
Fax: +39 0825 781585
Email: anna.marabo...@isa.cnr.it <mailto:anna.marabo...@isa.cnr.it>
Skype account: annam1972
Web page: http://bioinformatica.isa.cnr.it/anna/anna.htm
"When a man with a gun meets a man with a pen, the man with a gun is a dead man"
(Roberto Benigni, about Roberto Saviano)

MILES-IGERT Trainee