James Starlight wrote:
Mark,

2011/10/26 Mark Abraham <mark.abra...@anu.edu.au <mailto:mark.abra...@anu.edu.au>>

    Or that your starting structure is not close enough to a sensible
    minimum for a local gradient-based optimizer to do the job. Look at
    the atoms with the large forces and see what you can learn.

So for that purpose I've done steep minimization first and only that based on that minimized structure I did CG minimization. I changed the emtool ( from 100 to 1000) as well as step size but my structure always have not been prorely minimized ( based on the system output ). Also I've found that there is third L-BFGS <http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/Terminology/L-BFGS> algorithm for minimization. In what cases this minimization could be helpfull?

You should probably be using it.

http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/How-tos/Normal_Mode_Analysis

Note that increasing emtol from 100 to 1000 actually makes your results worse, since mdrun will stop when the maximum force is below 1000 kJ/mol-nm, which is orders of magnitude too high for NMA.

-Justin

    Sorry, we can't make guesses based on things you can't remember
    details about. Maybe you want to consider Essential Dynamics.

As I know the Essential dynamics is the type of the PC analysis ( in this case the ensemble of the analysed structures is replaced by the ensemble of the MD snapshots ). But I've heard that there is possible ways to extract normal modes indirectly from the output trajectories.

James

MILES-IGERT Trainee