On 31/10/2011 12:28 PM, Sanku M wrote:
Hi,
I just compiled gromacs 4.5.4 in a cluster. But, I find that if I try to make use of threading introduced in gromacs 4.5.x series, it does not work. After issuing command like mdrun -v -s , I expected that for my 8-core processor which is not running any other jobs, the threading will show one job with 800 % cpu usage. But, it is showing 100 % cpu usage hence using only 1 of the 8 processors. I was wondering whether there is any command line I need to use to ensure the gromacs understands that there is 8 processors in a core and force make full use of the entire machine.

I have tried the same thing in another different cluster where I found that threading works with showing 800 % cpu usage . But, for this cluster , the threading does not work.

These metrics are unreliable unless you have documentation stating what 800% vs 100% means, and that you have 8 physical cores - virtual cores are not useful for GROMACS, because they derive their benefit from overlapping downtime on one process (e.g. accessing memory) with compute time on another and GROMACS does not have significant downtime.

If you have compiled with threading, then the top of the .log file reports how many threads GROMACS has automatically determined to use. You should then look at performance of runs over several minutes to determine what speed-up is occurring.