Steven Neumann wrote:

On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 4:11 PM, Justin A. Lemkul <jalem...@vt.edu <mailto:jalem...@vt.edu>> wrote:

    Steven Neumann wrote:

        Hi Guys,
         I am using Charmm27 ff for my protein and ligand system. I used
        SwissParam to generate the topology for my ligand. I included
        the obtained topology of my ligand as in Justin tutorial:
; Include Position restraint file

        #ifdef POSRES

        #include "posre.itp"

        #endif

        ; Include ligand topology

        #include "ligand.itp"

        ; Ligand position restraints

        #ifdef POSRES

        #include "posre_ligand.itp"

        #endif

        ; Include water topology

        #include "charmm27.ff/tip3p.itp"

         When I wanted to run NVT I obtained:
         Fatal error:
        Syntax error - File egcg.itp, line 7
        Last line read:
        '[ atomtypes ] '
        Invalid order for directive atomtypes
         However when I included my topology as:
; Include forcefield parameters

        #include "charmm27.ff/forcefield.itp"

        #include "ligand.itp"

        [ moleculetype ]

        ; Name nrexc

        ; Include Position restraint file

        #ifdef POSRES

        #include "posre.itp"

        #endif

        ; Ligand position restraints

        #ifdef POSRES

        #include "posre_egcg.itp"

        #endif

        ; Include water topology

        #include "charmm27.ff/tip3p.itp"

        ,,,,
         Everything seems to be ok!
        Any clue why is that?

    The topology must follow a defined order.  Please consult Chapter 5
    of the manual for the required hierarchy.  Of course, the latter
    case will also not work, because you've introduced ligand position
    restraints after the protein [moleculetype], so if invoked, they
    will cause a different fatal error.

    The Gromacs site also has more on these types of errors, as well as
    the list archive, where this error has been posted and solved
    hundreds of times.

    -Justin

    Thank you Justin! But actually the last case I provided actually
    works...

Then the position restraints are not being applied to the ligand. They can't be. Once the protein [moleculetype] is introduced, all [position_restraints] directives immediately after are applied to it. Try invoking the restraints separately, i.e. with "define = -DPOSRES -DPOSRES_LIGAND" and you will get a fatal error.

MILES-IGERT Trainee