1. why repeat the calculations? If you're talking about simulations then there is no need to repeat them due to this. You will get different answers with the same starting coordinates if you simply change the initial velocities. If you're talking about instantaneous energy calculations then I suppose you might need to redo it, but they should be very quick, right?

2. The .gro files do not carry useless zeroes. you have it backwards... the gro files end up with fewer digits.

3. it's a little annoying to find out that you already knew the answer. Why not state that at the outset? Unless I misunderstand this point, this will mark the end of my comments since holding back information on purpose just wastes people's time.

Chris.