I think that for the histogram all contribution with a negative sign would be add to the contributions from positive distances. If your distribution is be a perfect gaussian with zero mean, you would end up with half a gaussian with double high (for positive distances) and zero for negative distances. For this case it would be easy to correct the histogram. But if the histogram isn't a perfect gaussian, you couldn't say anything.

Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2012 10:47:43 +0000
From: Gavin Melaugh<gmelaug...@qub.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: [gmx-users] RDF(PMF) and Umbrella sampling
To: Discussion list for GROMACS users<gmx-users@gromacs.org>

Hi Justin

Again, many thanks for the reply.
So when the COM distance changes sign, what effect does that have on the
distribution of the COM distance about the mean value for that window
i.e. If say my ref dist in 0 nm and the umbrella sampling allows the
distance to sample distances say at 0.02 nm to -0.02nm. What happens to
negative values? Obviously they are not counted as negative in the
distribution or else it would be centred at zero/

Cheers

Gavin

Justin A. Lemkul wrote:

Gavin Melaugh wrote:
Hi Justin

Thanks very much. One last question. What do you mean when you say "COM
reference distance is changing signs"? I thought  the COM distance was
the absolute distance between the two groups and therefore cannot be
negative?

The pull code deals in vectors.  Signs can change.  The use of
"distance" as a geometry is perhaps somewhat misleading.

-Justin

Cheers

Gavin

Dariush Mohammadyani wrote:
Hi Gavin,

A question arose for me: why did you consider the (rate = 0)?

Dariush

On Fri, Jan 6, 2012 at 11:47 AM, Gavin Melaugh<gmelaug...@qub.ac.uk