Steven Neumann wrote:

On Tue, Jan 10, 2012 at 7:07 PM, Justin A. Lemkul <jalem...@vt.edu <mailto:jalem...@vt.edu>> wrote:

    Steven Neumann wrote:

        On Tue, Jan 10, 2012 at 6:55 PM, Steven Neumann
        <s.neuman...@gmail.com <mailto:s.neuman...@gmail.com>
        <mailto:s.neuman...@gmail.com <mailto:s.neuman...@gmail.com>>__>
        wrote:

           On Tue, Jan 10, 2012 at 6:22 PM, Justin A. Lemkul
        <jalem...@vt.edu <mailto:jalem...@vt.edu>
           <mailto:jalem...@vt.edu <mailto:jalem...@vt.edu>>> wrote:

               Steven Neumann wrote:

                   Dear Gmx Users,
                    My system includes: ions, water, two tubes made of
        carbon
                   atoms, protein.
                   I would like to run NVT (and then NPT) with position
                   restarined dynamics of my protein and tubes.
                   I am wondering whether this approach is good (two
        coupling
                   groups: Protein_Tubes and Water_and_ions??
                    My thermostat in mdp file:
                    Temperature coupling is on

                   tcoupl = V-rescale ;

                   tc_grps = Protein_Tubes Water_and_ions ; two coupling
        groups

                   tau_t = 0.1 0.1 ; time constant

                   ref_t = 298 298 ; reference temperature

                   Please, let me know whether this apporach is ok. How
        can I
                   set tc_grps when I want to add ligand?

               I don't know a definitive answer here, so I'll throw out some
               ideas and hopefully stimulate some discussion.  I create
        tc_grps
               based on species whose dynamics are intimately linked.  For
               solvent, that includes water and ions.  Are your protein and
               tube physically associated?

           They are not physically associated but I put my protein as
        close as
           possible to the tube and I want to run position restrained
        dynamics
           of my tube and first 4 residues of my protein (stimulating
        attached
           protein to my tube).

        Will you suggest attaching my protein directly to my tube in
        this case?

    I'm assuming by "attaching" you mean coupling in the same tc_grp?  I
    wouldn't. This is a complex case (and again, I don't know a true
    answer here) - your system has the potential to be highly dynamic.
     Say the protein and tube bind, in which case they would (in theory)
    be coupled together.  Say they never bind, and then if you couple
    them together they shouldn't be.  You don't know a priori which way
    it will go.

No. I mean physically attached. That is why my first 4 resiudes are closed to the tube and position restrained. The best would be to attach it physically by sharing one atom. No clue how. My tube is a representation of the rest of the protein assembly (I am interested in the influence of charged "residues" represented by ions and non charged by carbon atoms within my tube - position restrained dynamics the tube) on my protein. What is more there is another tube above my protein (not attached) and I am interested also on the influence of those "residues" of the tube on my protein conformation. In future I want to do Umrella Sampling pulling my tube above to see free energy difference.

It would have been better to state all of this up front ;)

If you are trying to create a single entity representing the protein and the tube, then yes, they should be a single tc_grp, and the best approach is to create a merged [moleculetype] definition with an actual bond between the shared atoms. Doing so is not trivial, and I have no real quick way to suggest doing that, other than recreating a topology from pdb2gmx and perhaps making use of specbond.dat. I'm still not 100% clear on where everything is located.

The other tube (not attached) and solvent/ions/ligands should likely be treated as separate groups for the purposes of temperature coupling. But again, as stated, this is a very complicated system and the best methodology for simulating it is likely not defined terribly well.

MILES-IGERT Trainee