Hi,

I'm still a bit confused about the [ pairs ] and [ exclusions ] sections of an .itp file. How would the procedure be if I want to change the Lennard-Jones parameters for certain pairs of atoms in a molecule? The reason I ask is that I have created a trehalose topology based on the 56A_CARBO (Hansen & Hünenberger, 2011) parameters, but I'm a bit unsure that I got the special 1-5 and and 1-4 pair right. This is how I did it (the modified forcefield is G53A6 or G54A7):

1. Excluded the pairs by putting them in the [ exclusions ] section
2. Added the excluded pairs in the [ pairs ] section with function type 1 followed by the C6 and C12 parameters.

Something like this:

[ exclusions ]
1    5
[ pairs ]
;            ft           C6                    C12
1    5     1   0.22617E-02    0.74158E-06

Is the choice of function right? In the manual it looks like I could also use function type 3 here. What is more correct?

Regards
Jon Kapla

Jon Kapla
  Division of Physical Chemistry
  Dpt. of Materials and Environmental Chemistry (MMK)
  Arrhenius Laboratory
  Stockholm University
  SE-106 91 Stockholm
Pos:    PhD Student