On 19/01/2012 5:39 PM, Chandan Choudhury wrote:

Dear gmx-users,

I have a simulated a system containing a linear polymer in a cubic box with water molecules. I need to get rid of PBC effect on the system such that I can execute my own analysis code. I intend to compute the msd of water molecules along the polymer backbone.

You can't "get rid of PBC", you can only manage it. The question reduces what you want to see if a molecule diffuses across the periodic boundary from near one end of the polymer to the other end.

So, when I execute my own analysis code, I see the msd's are abrupt (i.e very high), this is due to the pbc. So, for getting rid of PBC effect, I performed the suggested trjconv workflow (http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/Terminology/Periodic_Boundary_Conditions).

Below are my executed commands :

# Made the system whole

echo 0 | trjconv_4.5.5 -s md0-4.tpr -f 0-4.xtc -pbc whole -o 0-4_whole.xtc

# 0 is the whole system. md0-4.tpr is the initial tpr file containing whole (no broken) polymer inside the cubic box.
# Extracted 1st frame from the initial trajectory

echo 0 | trjconv_4.5.5 -s md0-4.tpr -f 0-4.xtc -pbc nojump -o 1st.pdb -dump 0

# used the whole trajectory to remove jumps with reference to the 1st frame. echo 0 | trjconv_4.5.5 -s 1st.pdb -f 0-4_whole.xtc -pbc nojump -o 0-4_nojump.xtc

So here you said "let molecules diffuse away from the solute".

#system is being centered
echo "0 0" | trjconv_4.5.5 -s md0-4.tpr -f 0-4_nojump.xtc -o 0-4_center.xtc -center

#putting every atom in the box
echo 0 | trjconv -s md0-4.tpr -f 0-4_center.xtc -o 0-4_box.xtc -pbc atom

... and now you said "take all the atoms and put them back in the box", creating jumps whenever one crosses the boundaries.

Still when I execute my analysis code, I do see the abrupt behaviour in the msd plot. Can someone guide me how to completely get rid of PBC artifacts.

Don't simulate with them :-P Is your analysis technique sound for the periodic case?