On 16/02/2012 3:14 PM, Juliette N. wrote:

On 15 February 2012 23:05, Mark Abraham <mark.abra...@anu.edu.au <mailto:mark.abra...@anu.edu.au>> wrote:

    On 16/02/2012 2:08 PM, Juliette N. wrote:

    On 15 February 2012 21:00, Mark Abraham <mark.abra...@anu.edu.au
    <mailto:mark.abra...@anu.edu.au>> wrote:

        On 16/02/2012 12:22 PM, Justin A. Lemkul wrote:

            Juliette N. wrote:

                Hi all,

                I am trying to run simulation in vaccum using the the
                changes shown below to the usual mdp file.
                pbc              =  no

                ;coulombtype         =  PME   ;vdw-type            =
                 Shift
                ;        Cut-offs
                rlist               =  0   rcoulomb     =  0
                rvdw              =  0

nstlist = 0 ns_type = simple

                Can anyone help me with some short questions please?

                1- for pbc=no, I need to comment

                ;coulombtype         =  PME   ;vdw-type            =
                 Shift
                so it defaults to vdw-type =  Cut-off which are not
                suitable algorithms. Is using cut offs justified for
                in vacu runs?

            Plain truncations in condensed-phase systems lead to
            artifacts.  Neither of those conditions apply here, as
            you're using infinite cutoffs.

                2- I am not clear about using infinite cutoffs. Why
                one refers to infinite cutoffs when

                rlist               =  0   rcoulomb     =  0
                rvdw              =  0     ?

                My understanding is that this settings means zero
                cutoff i.e no interaction is calculated. Why does
                this setting refer to infinite rc?

            That's the way the code works.  There are various
            parameters that can be set to -1, for instance, and that
            doesn't mean quantities are calculated every -1 steps ;)

            Setting cutoffs to zero in this manner mean *all*
            interactions are calculated, not none.  Prove it to
            yourself with a zero-step MD run.  The nonbonded energy
            terms will not be zero, as they would in the case that no
            interactions would be calculated.

        Or read about pbc=no in manual section 3.4.9 like I suggested
        Juliette do earlier this week...

    Thanks Justin and Mark. I think you meant 7.3.9 which I did when
    you referred me to that. My problem was that I did not expect
    rc=0  is *just defined* as infinite cutoff in gromacs. To me rc=0
    looked more equivalent to no interaction than infinite cutff off
    (all interactions).

    Sure, but reading the documentation is usually a better idea than
    making assumptions :)

    The underlying reason for this behaviour is that it is much easier
    for the person writing the code to have one parameter that
    occasionally has a "special" meaning when it takes a nonsense
    value (like rc<=0) then it is to have a slew of parameters that
    have to be managed when they are input (and checked, and
    documented) and then possibly passed through a cascade of
    functions (lots of bureaucracy and chances to make errors) before
    they are used. The alternative costs the programmer more time. In
    an ideal world there would be an infinite amount of such time, but
    given the amount most people are prepared to pay for scientific
    software, that time is severely limited.

    And also I dont see why do we need to change rc to infinite. I
    mean if force fields dictate cutoffs based on a distance where
    nonbonded interactions are close enough to zero (negligible),
    what  purpose use of infinite cutoff serve?

    Efficiency, like I said in the first post in this thread. Given
    that your force field was parametrized with given cut-offs for the
    condensed phase, to what purpose do you wish to calculate in
    vacuo? The perturbation from calculating in vacuo will be much
    larger than the perturbation from the use of infinite cut-offs.

Thank you. I am looking at potential of a single molecule in vacu for heat of vap purposes at different temperatures by changing ref_temp and gen_temp for each run.

So it's much more bureaucracy every nstlist>0 steps to take your N atoms and look at their distance from the other N-1 atoms and make lists of which ones are inside rc than it is to just compute them all every step and know that if they're further than rc then the effect is tiny. For small enough N, the later is guaranteed to be faster...