I am trying to import PDB file snapshots from a GROMACS 4.5.4-generated trajectory into other software tools -- specifically, Biopython. I generate the snapshots using trjconv in GROMACS.

I am interested in the water molecules from my solvent box, so I do not discard them. When trjconv prompts me to "Select group for output", I select "Group 0 (System)". However, in downstream applications, I do want to differentiate the solvent atoms from my protein polymer, and ensure that each group of atoms (protein atoms, solvent atoms) is placed in a distinct category.

Biopython's PDB file parser is not cooperating with me. It is attempting to append the water molecules as additional RESIDUES of my polymer. Obviously, this is incorrect. So, where's the problem, Biopython or GROMACS? Looking through the PDB file specification, version 3.2, I found the following passage:

"The ATOM records present the atomic coordinates for standard amino acids and nucleotides. They also present the occupancy and temperature factor for each atom. Non-polymer chemical coordinates use the HETATM record type."

If I am reading this correctly, my solvent atoms should be tagged as "HETATM" rather than as "ATOM". But the files that trjconv produces label every atom as "ATOM", whether it's an atom from the protein or an atom from a water molecule.

Is there any way to make trjconv use "HETATM" for solvent atoms? I do not see anything in the trjconv documentation. I also do not understand why trjconv might produce PDB files which do not adhere to the standard. There may be a good reason, I don't know.

Thanks for your help!