Dear Acoot:

I'll reply to general topics, not to the tutorial in particular.

If the opening is not large enough to allow the peptide to exit, then the surrounding protein will need to change its conformation to permit unbinding. This can happen, but you need (a) to have sufficiently long sampling times to permit the required conformational change and (b) starting structures in which the peptide is near the umbrella center and do not crash during simulation.

The US method is always valid, but it is not always the best choice. You might try using the free energy code to implement a thermodynamic cycle. Nevertheless, one imagines that the protein does actually need to open up during peptide binding and so you will still need to sample protein opening/closing in order to obtain equilibrium (i.e. correct) binding free energies because you need to sample the unbound protein at equilibrium. That is to say that a thermodynamic cycle may appear converged when in fact it is not, because you have not converged the unbound state of the protein. In any event, be careful with your convergence analysis.

This would be a good system for which to attempt both US and double-decoupling approaches and use the results of each to ensure that you are not missing some important conformational states.

That said, I highly doubt that it is possible to converge the free energies of induced-fit peptide-protein binding with any available atomistic computational method using contemporary computational resources. The lower bound of required sampling times is certainly on the order of 10 us per umbrella and I bet that the actual value is a few orders of magnitude larger. I have less experience with the free energy code than I do with US, but I suspect that the required sampling times are also very long for a system like this.

Chris.