Hi all,

I want to test the g_dipoles tool and made a 20 ns simulation with SPC/E water. Sadly the result for the dielectric constant (e_sim=109.713) looks very different from experimental (e_exp=78) and reported values for SPCE (e_paper=70). I put the command line and the output below.

Gromacs 4.5.3, SPC/E water, 20ns, NPT, 300K, 1bar

g_dipoles -corr total -c dipoles -f md_20ns.xtc -s md_20ns.tpr -b 0 -e 20000

#==========================================

Using 5 as mu_max and -1 as the dipole moment.
WARNING: EpsilonRF = 0.0, this really means EpsilonRF = infinity
Selected 0: 'System'
There are 1024 molecules in the selection
Using Volume from topology: 30.2049 nm3
Average volume over run is 30.2103
t0 0, t 20000, teller 10001

Dipole moment (Debye)
---------------------
Average  =   2.4883  Std. Dev. =   0.1342  Error =   0.0000

The following averages for the complete trajectory have been calculated:

  Total<  M_x>  = 1.45986 Debye
  Total<  M_y>  = 5.71202 Debye
  Total<  M_z>  = 3.39196 Debye

  Total<  M_x2  >  = 10964.8 Debye2
  Total<  M_y2  >  = 10794.4 Debye2
  Total<  M_z2  >  = 10762.4 Debye2

  Total<  |M|^2>  = 32521.6 Debye2
  Total |<  M>|^2 = 46.2638 Debye2

<  |M|^2>  - |<  M>|^2 = 32475.4 Debye2

Finite system Kirkwood g factor G_k = 5.12208
Infinite system Kirkwood g factor g_k = 3.43028

Epsilon = 109.713

#==========================================

I would be really grateful if anybody could point me to my error. I
attached my .mdp file in case the error lies there.

Best regards
Tom

;================== run control ===================================
integrator              = md
tinit                   = 0
dt                      = 0.002         ; time step [ps]
nsteps                  = 10000000      ; number of steps
comm_mode               = Linear        ; Remove center of mass translation
nstcomm                 = 10            ; reset c.o.m. motion

;================== Output control ===================================
nstxout                 = 1000          ; write coords
nstvout                 = 1000          ; write velocities
nstfout                 = 0             ; do NOT write forces

nstlog                  = 1000          ; print to logfile
nstenergy               = 1000

nstxtcout               = 1000          ; write coords to xtc-trajectory file
xtc-precision           = 1000

;================== Neighborsearching and short-range nonbonded interactions
nstlist                 = 10            ; update pairlist
ns_type                 = grid          ; pairlist method
pbc                     = xyz           ; periodic boundary conditions
rlist                   = 1.3           ; cut-off for neighborsearching - rlist
>= rvdw+ (0.1 till 0.3)

;================== Electrostatics
coulombtype             = PME
rcoulomb                = 1.3           ; cut-off for coulomb - rcoulomb = rlist
fourierspacing          = 0.112 ; nm
pme_order               = 4
ewald_rtol              = 1e-05
optimize_fft            = no
epsilon_surface         = 0

;================== dispersion correction
dispcorr                = EnerPres

;================== Van der Waals
vdw-type                = shift ; switch
rvdw_switch             = 0.9
rvdw                    = 1.0           ; cut-off for vdw

;================== OPTIONS FOR WEAK COUPLING ALGORITHMS ===============
Tcoupl                  =  v-rescale            ; temperature coupling
(v-rescale)
tc-grps                 =  System
ref_t                   =  298.15
tau_t                   =  1.0
Pcoupl                  =  berendsen    ; pressure bath (berendsen)
Pcoupltype              =  isotropic    ; pressure geometry
tau_p                   =  1.0          ; p-coupoling time
compressibility         =  4.5e-5
ref_p                   =  1.01325

;================== GENERATE VELOCITIES FOR STARTUP RUN =================
gen_vel                 =  yes          ; generate initial velocities
gen_temp                =  298.15       ; initial temperature
gen_seed                =  -1           ; random seed
continuation            =  no           ; since we came from nvt simulation

constraints             = h-bonds
constraint_algorithm    = lincs
shake_tol               = 0.00001
lincs_order             = 4