 Von: Mark Abraham <mark.abra...@anu.edu.au>
An: Discussion list for GROMACS users <gmx-users@gromacs.org>
Gesendet: 15:57 Mittwoch, 11.April 2012
Betreff: Re: [gmx-users] File editing - only one layer of water around a
molecule

Please leave the discussion on the mailing list, so that others can contribute
and benefit now and via the archives.

On 11/04/2012 10:53 PM, Lara Bunte wrote:
Hi

>How to do that? I searched the manual for "layer" and I don't find something
>that helped. I also have no idea about what distances.
There's no standard definition of a layer - it depends what you're
    trying to do. A layer around a protein with a concavity might need
    to be defined quite differently from a layer around a monatomic ion
    or next to a hydrophobic phase boundary.

Ultimately, you need to get some idea about distances :-) Look up
    how long a water O-H bond is. Wikipedia will do. What does your
    knowledge of the structure of water suggest about a likely range for
    a O-H-O distance? How does that relate to how big a "layer" might
    be? Do you care how rough the layer is? Do you care if your layer
    has water molecule(s) between a water molecule and your solute? Use
    g_select to select water atoms within some range of your solute and
    look at the results.

Mark

I have a small molecule in a big water box and I only want one layer (later 2,
3, ..n) that I want to keep around the molecule and remove the rest.

>In appendix I put one of this .pdb files that you can see what I mean.
>

>Thanks for help
>

>Greetings
>Lara
>

>________________________________

                to solve my problem. No if you have a pdb file with a
                molecule in water. How to remove all the water except of
                one layer? How could I do this with g_select? What other
                solutions could be used, with i.e. other software?

>First, define "a layer" in a way that suits what you are trying to observe.
>Copy literature approaches if suitable. Then seek to cast that definition in
>terms of distances between atoms, which is all that you have to work with.
>
>Mark
>

>>Greetings
>>Lara

                  file. I want to remove all water except of ONE layer
                  around he molecule.  How to do that?

>>> Do you know a software that is able to do that?
                  Do you know how it could work with programs like PyMol
                  or others?

>>There's many ways to do it. The GROMACS way is to use
                  g_select with some geometric criterion for the layer
                  to generate an index group describing the layer, and
                  then using that with trjconv -n to take the subset out
                  of the trajectory file.

>>Mark
>>-- gmx-users mailing list    gmx-users@gromacs.org
>>Please search the archive at
>>http://www.gromacs.org/Support/Mailing_Lists/Search before posting!
>>Please don't post (un)subscribe requests to the list.
                  Use the www interface or send it to
gmx-users-requ...@gromacs.org.