On 5/29/12 6:22 AM, Stephen Cox wrote:
Hi,

I'm running a number of energy minimizations on a clathrate supercell and I get
quite significantly different values for the total energy depending on the
number of mpi processes / number of threads I use. More specifically, some
numbers I get are:

#cores      energy
1        -2.41936409202696e+04
2        -2.43726425776809e+04
3        -2.45516442350804e+04
4        -2.47003944216983e+04

#threads    energy
1        -2.41936409202696e+04
2        -2.43726425776792e+04
3        -2.45516442350804e+04
4        -2.47306458924815e+04

I'd expect some numerical noise, but these differences seem to0 large for that.

The difference is only 2%, which by MD standards, is quite good, I'd say ;) Consider the discussion here:

http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/Terminology/Reproducibility

To an extent, the information here may also be relevant:

http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/How-tos/Extending_Simulations#Exact_vs_binary_identical_continuation

Before submitting a bug report, I'd like to check:
a) if someone has seen something similar;

Sure. Energies can be different due to a whole host of factors (discussed above), and MPI only complicates matters.

b) should I just trust the serial version?

Maybe, but I don't know that there's evidence to say that any of the above tests are more or less accurate than the others. What happens if you run with mdrun -reprod on all your tests?

c) have I simply done something stupid (grompp.mdp appended below);

Nope, looks fine.

Justin A. Lemkul, Ph.D.
Research Scientist