On 8/06/2012 1:09 PM, Sanku M wrote:
Hi,
I am trying to use a table potential implementing Weeks-Chandler-Anderson (WCA) interaction between a solute and all atoms of a solvent like TIP3P water ( with nonzero interaction in the Hydrogen atoms) . But, I am having a trouble in specifying energy groups required for table potential.
Here is the problem:
I have two atom types in water : OW and HW. and one atom type in solute : POL

Now, I want to use two Table potentials with WCA interactions between a) POL & HW and b) POL & OW So, I created two table potential files: table_POL_HW.xvg and table_POL_OW.xvg

and then
in the .mdp file, I specified
energygrps = POL OW HW
energygrps_table = POL OW POL HW

But, compiling the .mdp file using grompp ( version 4.5.4) gives me following error
"Fatal error:
atoms 33 and 34 in charge group 1 of molecule type 'SOL' are in different energy groups"

Clearly, using OW and HW as separate energy groups is causing the problem.
So, I am looking for an option on how I can use the table potential between solute and each atoms of solvent.

Energy groups can only be unions of complete charge groups. So your energy groups require that you split the solvent charge group. The solvent charge groups are defined in its [moleculetype]. Splitting will mean that you will get integration artefacts at the cut-off unless you use a proper long-ranged electrostatic method (i.e. an Ewald family method).