On 10/06/2012 5:50 PM, Inon Sharony wrote:
 Hi Mark! Thanks for the response. Just to follow up, the problem was
 that another program was deleting md.log before it could be accessed.
 This is entirely not the fault of GROMACS, however a more descriptive
 error message could have saved us some time (e.g. "md.log not found"
 as opposed to "md.log could not be opened" instead of "file i/o
 error"). Also, I still don't understand under which directory futil.c
 is located. I would check whether this file outdated and change the
 error message accordingly if it is.

Thanks for the thought.

One problem is that there are a wide range of circumstances that can provoke the conditions that mdrun detected in your case, e.g. missing file, network file system unavailability, invalid file permissions. At least some of those can be transient, also, so any detective work mdrun might do subsequent to an I/O failure might be inaccurate, or depend on details of the OS and file system in use. Unfortunately, GROMACS developers don't have the time to write and test code that can deal with all possible such contingencies, so the burden of solving the problem is pushed to those who know the most about their local conditions. This lets the GROMACS devs spend more time doing what they do best :-) Free software will be imperfect - and software for which you paid money is rarely fully satisfactory either!