On 7/9/12 12:02 AM, bharat gupta wrote:
Hi,

I have been trying to study folding of a peptide 24 residues long. I
did  a  simulation of 50 ns with explicit solvent, CHARMM FF, but I
was not able to find even a single folding event. Then I decided use
explicit solvent for simulation and I again simulated the peptide for
100 ns . This time again I ended with no folding events.

  I know that in case of explicit solvent , a 50ns simulation time is
not enough to observe anything. But I did it to see the initial
behavior of the peptide in water. In take many random like
conformation but doesnot fold into a desired beta-hairpin. For the
explicit solvent simulation, I followed the lysozyme tutorial
parameters.

You shouldn't.  The .mdp settings are appropriate for OPLS-AA, not CHARMM.

For implicit solvent simulation, I used the following parameters for
Energy minimization  :

  define              =  -DFLEXIBLE
  constraints         =  none
  integrator          =  steep
  dt                  =  0.001    ; ps
  nsteps              =  30000
  vdwtype             =  cut-off
  coulombtype         =  cut-off
  pbc                 =  no
  nstlist             =  0
  ns_type             =  simple
  rlist               =  0       ; this means all-vs-all (no cut-off),
which   gets expensive for bigger systems
  rcoulomb            =  0
  rvdw                =  0
  comm-mode           =  angular
  comm-grps           =  Protein
  optimize_fft        =  yes
  ;
  ;       Energy minimizing stuff
  ;
  emtol               =  5.0
  emstep              =  0.01
  ;
  ; Implicit solvent
  ;
  implicit_solvent    =  GBSA
  gb_algorithm        =  Still ; HCT ; OBC
  nstgbradii          =  1
  rgbradii            =  0   ; [nm] Cut-off for the calculation of the
Born  radii. Currently must be equal to rlist
  gb_epsilon_solvent  =  80    ; Dielectric constant for the implicit  solvent
   ; gb_saltconc       =  0     ; Salt concentration for implicit
solvent  models, currently not used
  sa_algorithm        =  Ace-approximation
  sa_surface_tension  = -1

For MD I used the following : -

define              =  -DPOSRESHELIX ; -DFLEXIBLE -DPOSRES
  constraints         =  none
  integrator          =  md
  dt                  =  0.001   ; ps
  nsteps              =  1000000000 ; 100000 ps = 100 ns
  nstcomm             =  10
  nstcalcenergy       =  10
  nstxout             =  1000     ; frequency to write coordinates to output
  trajectory
  nstvout             =  0       ; frequency to write velocities to output
  trajectory; the last velocities are always written
  nstfout             =  0       ; frequency to write forces to output
  trajectory
  nstlog              =  1000         ; frequency to write energies to log
  file
  nstenergy           =  1000     ; frequency to write energies to edr file

  vdwtype             =  cut-off
  coulombtype         =  cut-off

  pbc                 =  no

  nstlist             =  0
  ns_type             =  simple
  rlist               =  0       ; this means all-vs-all (no cut-off), which
  gets expensive for bigger systems
  rcoulomb            =  0
  rvdw                =  0

  comm-mode           =  angular
  comm-grps           =  system

  optimize_fft        =  yes

  ; V-rescale temperature coupling is on
  Tcoupl              =  v-rescale
  tau_t               =  0.1
  tc_grps             =  system
  ref_t               =  300
  ; Pressure coupling is off
  Pcoupl              =  no
  ; Generate velocites is on
  gen_vel             =  yes
  gen_temp            =  300
  gen_seed            =  -1

  ;
  ; Implicit solvent
  ;
  implicit_solvent    =  GBSA
  gb_algorithm        =  Still ; HCT ; OBC
  nstgbradii          =  1
  rgbradii            =  0   ; [nm] Cut-off for the calculation of the
Born radii. Currently must be equal to rlist
  gb_epsilon_solvent  =  80    ; Dielectric constant for the implicit   solvent
  ; gb_saltconc       =  0     ; Salt concentration for implicit
solvent   models, currently not used
  sa_algorithm        =  Ace-approximation
  sa_surface_tension  = -1

So, finally I want to know where have I gone in my simulation
experiments, both implicit and explicit ?? ... Please reply .

What evidence do you have that you should expect to see a folding event in such a short time? Most people will use more extensive sampling methods like REMD to observe peptide folding.

Justin A. Lemkul, Ph.D.
Research Scientist