On 7/11/12 6:13 AM, reising...@rostlab.informatik.tu-muenchen.de wrote:
Hi everybody,
I did a minimization of my structure. But the output seems a bit strange
for me, since my input was the protein with its membrane in a box like
this:
# = box  P = Protein  M=Membrane

#############
#      PPPP #
#     MPPPPM#
#      PPPP #
#           #
#           #
#############

But the output of the minimization looks like this

#############
#        PPPP#
  #M     MPPPP #
   #      PPPP  #
    #            #
     #            #
      ##############

How can that be?

It's a triclinic representation of the unit cell.  Nothing is wrong.

My box was created with:

editconf -f wholeProtein.gro -o 3m71_box.gro -center 4.59340   4.59470
5.17330 -c -bt dodecahedron -d 1.0 2>>logErr 1>>logOut

Is a dodecahedral box appropriate for a protein in a membrane? The inherent symmetry of a slab of any sort dictates that you should be using a cubic or rectangular box. Dodecahedral and octahedral boxes are better for systems with spherical symmetry, like globular proteins in water.

I put solvent in it with:

genbox -cp 3m71_box.gro -cs spc216.gro -p 3m71.top -o 3m71_water.gro
2>>logErr 1>>logOut

The mdp file for the minimization looks like this:

define                  = -DPOSRES
integrator              = steep
emtol           = 10
nsteps          = 1500
nstenergy               = 1
energygrps              = System
coulombtype             = PME
rcoulomb                = 0.9
rvdw                    = 0.9
rlist           = 0.9
fourierspacing  = 0.12
pme_order               = 4
ewald_rtol              = 1e-5
pbc                     = xyz

Can you please tell me how I can prevent my box to shift?

There is no box shift; it's just a visual representation of the dodecahedral box. You can "correct" it (for visualization purposes) by running trjconv -pbc mol -ur compact.

Justin A. Lemkul, Ph.D.
Research Scientist