On 8/16/12 10:13 AM, tdgrant1 wrote:
Dear all,

I have a 70 ns trajectory for which the last 60 ns appears to be
equilibrated.  I'm attempting to create a plot of RMSF but I want to align
it to the equilibrated structure, not the starting structure.  I first ran
g_rmsf using the starting structure as the reference structure over only the
last 60 ns and output the average structure (with B-factor column) using the
-ox flag.  I would now like to use this average, "equilibrium" structure as
the reference structure for fitting the entire trajectory.

When I try and use this average structure as a reference structure with the
-s flag, I get the following error:

WARNING: if there are broken molecules in the trajectory file,
          they can not be made whole without a run input file

I'm not sure if the "broken molecule" it's referring to is the average
structure, which I presume could be "broken" due to the unnatural bond
lengths and angles resulting from averaging or if there's a problem trying
to use a pdb file (which is the only -ox output file option) instead of a
.tpr file, which is the format of the original starting structure, which
worked.

Does anyone have a suggestion as to how to obtain this rmsf plot?

The warning about broken molecules relates to the trajectory (as stated in the message), so periodicity effects are not accounted for if you are not using a .tpr file. Thus you could get erroneous results unless you have already corrected for PBC effects using trjconv before running g_rmsf.

Justin A. Lemkul, Ph.D.
Research Scientist