It looks for me like the known pbc effect others already pointed to. If you have just a protein-ligand complex (+ water and counterions of course) it's relatively easy to manually (a piece of code would do it) bring the ligand to the correct position in the frames showing an abnormally high value by subtracting half the x/y dimension of the box from its coordinates and re-calculate the rmsd , but I think trjconv would do it as well.

Felipe