From: Justin Lemkul <jalem...@vt.edu>
To: Shima Arasteh <shima_arasteh2...@yahoo.com>; Discussion list for GROMACS
users <gmx-users@gromacs.org>
Sent: Wednesday, October 3, 2012 5:18 PM
Subject: Re: [gmx-users] Temperature in simulation

On 10/3/12 9:39 AM, Shima Arasteh wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I want to insert a protein in POPC lipid bilayer.
>
> First of all, I simulated POPC in water in 310 K. Now, I want to insert
> protein in lipid-water. To simulate protein-lipid-water system I want to run
> NVT in 300 K and then go on. Does anybody know it would be  incorrect
> logically ?

Well, what is the goal of your simulation?  If you're trying to simulate a
physiological environment (human body/cells) then 310 K is the correct
temperature.  If you're trying to replicate some other in vitro conditions,
that should motivate your choice.

> As I know, 10 degree increase in temperature of system, may result in some
> troubles in my small protein. But I guess this would not happen for lipid
> bilayer.

A 10 K increase shouldn't affect the protein dynamics all that strongly.  What
problems have you seen, and why do you expect them to carry over to a membrane
environment?  One of the most important factors in choosing the temperature of
a lipid bilayer is the phase transition temperature of the lipids.  POPC should
be fluid at either 300 K or 310 K, so that is not a concern.

-Justin

Justin A. Lemkul, Ph.D.
Research Scientist