I second everything that Justin Lemkul  wrote. This recent paper (C. A.
Brackley, M. E. Cates, and D. Marenduzzo, Phys. Rev. Lett. 109:168103 (2012))
have a few weak points in my opinion, but demonstrate the artifacts that arise
from freezing the DNA.

Best,

Erik
9 nov 2012 kl. 20.42 skrev Justin Lemkul:

> On 11/9/12 9:02 AM, saber naderi wrote:
>> Dear Gromacs Users,
>>
>> I would like to study structure of a positively charged protein in the
>> vicinity of DNA. To do this, I want to perform replica exchange molecular
>> dynamics simulations in which DNA is frozen and only the protein moves.
>> This way I can efficiently obtain the free energy landscape of the protein
>> close to [frozen] DNA.
>>
>> The reason why I keep the DNA frozen is that this may reduce the
>> computational cost in two ways:
>> 1. DNA atom coordinates are not updated.
>
> Frozen groups do not improve performance.
>
>> 2. Maybe I can have a smaller simulation box (and less number of water
>> molecules), because in principle I can exclude DNA-DNA interactions via
>> energygrp_excl.
>>

> This is also not true, as there are protein-DNA and protein-water
> interactions that cannot be ignored.
>
>> so, I would like to ask you if you think this is a reasonable approach?
>> What could go wrong in such simulations? Any input would be appreciated.
>>

> Are you sure that there is no potential for the protein to induce any
> structural change in the DNA?  If you freeze the DNA, you assume that no
> remodeling occurs.  This assumption could impact the calculated free energy
> of binding.
>
> -Justin
>
> --
>
> Justin A. Lemkul, Ph.D.
> Research Scientist
> Department of Biochemistry
> Virginia Tech
> Blacksburg, VA
> jalemkul[at]vt.edu | (540) 231-9080

> * Please search the archive at
> * Please don't post (un)subscribe requests to the list. Use the www interface
> or send it to gmx-users-requ...@gromacs.org.

Erik Marklund, PhD
Husargatan 3, Box 596,    75124 Uppsala, Sweden
phone:    +46 18 471 6688        fax: +46 18 511 755
er...@xray.bmc.uu.se
http://www2.icm.uu.se/molbio/elflab/index.html