On 3/31/13 12:27 PM, Elisabeth wrote:
Thank Justin. I am interested in the density profile at the solvent-air
interface. I wanted to see how density changes with position at different
pressures...I have the equilibrated boxes at several pressures obtained
from NPT but I am not sure whether running g_density on the current
simulations cells provides the profile I am after. Do you have any clue
whether or not the cell has to be extended in one direction to obtain the
density profile?

If you're trying to produce an air-water interface, then indeed you will need some model for air within the unit cell, but there are several practical problems with that. The first is that g_density does not deal well with changing box vectors, and the density profiles it produces under an NPT ensemble are incorrect (outstanding bug that needs to be fixed, IIRC). The second is that if you run a simulation under NPT with void space, the unit cell will just compress down until there is no empty space. Probably the best solution would be to equilibrate under NPT at the desired conditions, then build a new unit cell and run under NVT. Using NVT will circumvent both problems, and if the proper pressure, density, etc have already been achieved, then you've got what you're after.

Justin A. Lemkul, Ph.D.
Research Scientist