Dear users and developers:

We have conducted some NPT umbrella sampling (US) simulations to investigate
the free energy associate with the aproach of 2 alpha helical peptides. The
order parameter is the Cartesian X dimension. During these simulations, in
order to maintain (i) the structure of isolated helices and (ii) the relative
orientation of the isolated helices, we also applied position restraints in the
Cartesian Y and Z dimensions. In addition to free energies of interaction, we
are also interested in looking at the system volume as a function of separation
distance. In doing so, we realized that the restraint potentials are affecting
the virial and thus the volume of the simulation system. I consider this volume
dependence to be an artefact of the procedure that we used and we would
therefore like to debias this volume data.

Debiasing is relatively straightforward for the umbrella potential. When dx is
less than dx0, the umbrella potential provides an expansion force that
increases the volume. Conversely, when dx is greater than dx0, the volume is
decreased. However, there is no simple way to debias the volume for the effects
of position restraints, which are unpredictable a priori as the helices come
into contact. It should be possible to go back to the .xtc files to compute the
restraint forces and use these, together with the compressibility, to compute
the volume change that was induced by the forces via the virial.

My first question is why these restraint forces are added to the virial at all.
Perhaps the US potential needs to be added (although I am not entirely sure
why), but if the system is translationally invariant then why would position
restraints be included in the virial?

My second question is what kind of errors might I introduce by modifying the
source code such that these restraint forces are not included in the virial?

My third question is what gromacs source code file contains the virial
contribution of the position restraints? (the forces from the US potential are
added to the virial in mdlib/pull.c , where I can set pull->bVirial=FALSE for
do_pull_pot() ).

Thank you,
Chris.