The 4.6.1 release is a more advanced version of gromacs with the latest kernels and features (GPU support, verlet cut-offs etc.).

4.5.7 is a maintenance release for those of us who for whatever reason wish to keep using the older 4.5.x series release. It mainly adds fixes made to the 4.6.x series to the 4.5.x version of the code. I use it as most of my calculations were conducted in 4.5.5 so this version allows me to use exactly the same setup as I was using before.

If you are starting a new project I would suggest that the 4.6.x series is what you should use as it is substantially faster (for a system I'm running that contains no water on an Intel sandy-bridge system it is more than 50% faster). This series will also probably receive more attention in terms of bug fixes and new releases (though I'm not a developer so I could be wrong about that).

Richard