On 6/11/13 1:13 PM, HANNIBAL LECTER wrote:
ref_p                    = 0.0  0.0 ??

Are you sure about this??

That's a likely culprit.  See below for another.

On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 12:08 PM, Dr. Vitaly Chaban <vvcha...@gmail.com>wrote:

what happens to your energy before the observed crash? does the crash
happen at the same time-step each time?

Dr. Vitaly Chaban

On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 5:22 PM, Neha <nshafi...@wesleyan.edu> wrote:

Hi everybody,

I am trying to simulate a lipid bilayer and wanted to use Parrinello
Rahman
coupling. However, I read that Parinello-Rahman is not great for
equilibration so I thought I would do a small run using the Berendsen
barostat to decrease the chances of large oscillations. I then used the
.gro
file obtained from that run to start a new run using Parrinello-Rahman. I
am
not sure if that's the correct way to go about doing what I want to do.

My Parrinello run also terminated a little while in, with the error that
2
of my atoms have moved further apart than the cut-off distance. A part of
my
mdp file is pasted below and I was wondering if anyone had any
suggestions
as to stop that from happening. My time step is 0.02 ps and I thought
increasing tau-p might work. I am using the compressibility from the map
file on the Martini website and am worried that might be too large. Any
help
will be super useful! Let me know if you need any more information.

; OPTIONS FOR WEAK COUPLING ALGORITHMS =
; Temperature coupling   =
tcoupl                   = nose-hoover
; Groups to couple separately =
tc-grps                  = DPPC W
; Time constant (ps) and reference temperature (K) =
tau_t                    = 1.0 1.0
ref_t                    = 320 320
nsttcouple               = 1
; Pressure coupling      =
Pcoupl                   = Parrinello-Rahman
Pcoupltype               = semiisotropic
; Time constant (ps), compressibility (1/bar) and reference P (bar) =
tau_p                    = 5.0  5.0
compressibility          = 3e-4 3e-4
ref_p                    = 0.0  0.0
nstpcouple               = 5

; GENERATE VELOCITIES FOR STARTUP RUN =
gen_vel                  = yes
gen_temp                 = 105

Here is another issue. You're re-generating velocities (destroying the previous equilibration) with a barostat that doesn't usually play nice under such circumstances, and you're generating velocities for a temperature well below the target defined in ref_t. That can cause the thermostat to go haywire, which then has negative effects on the pressure (which comes from kinetic energy and the virial), which can lead to collapse.

Justin A. Lemkul, Ph.D.
Research Scientist