Hi!

On 2013-07-17 21:08, Mark Abraham wrote:
You tried ppn3 (with and without --loadbalance)?

I was testing on 8-replicas simulation.

1) Without --loadbalance and -np 8.
Excerpts from the script:
#PBS -l nodes=8:ppn=3
setenv OMP_NUM_THREADS 4
mpiexec mdrun_mpi -v -cpt 20 -multi 8 -ntomp 4 -replex 2500 -cpi -pin on

Excerpts from logs:
Using 3 MPI processes
Using 4 OpenMP threads per MPI process
(...)
Overriding thread affinity set outside mdrun_mpi

Pinning threads with an auto-selected logical core stride of 1

WARNING: In MPI process #0: Affinity setting for 1/4 threads failed.
This can cause performance degradation! If you think your setting are
         correct, contact the GROMACS developers.

WARNING: In MPI process #2: Affinity setting for 4/4 threads failed.

Load: The job was allocated 24 cores (3 cores on 8 different nodes). Each OpenMP thread uses ~1/3 of a CPU core on average. Conclusions: MPI runs as many processes as cores requested (nnodes*ppn=24), it ignores OMP_NUM_THREADS env ==> this is wrong and is not Gromacs issue. Each MPI process forks to 4 threads as requested. The 24-core limit granted by Torque is not violated.

2) The same script, but with -np 8, to limit the number of MPI processes to the number of replicas
Logs:
Using 1 MPI process
Using 4 OpenMP threads
(...)

Replicas 0,3 and 6: WARNING: Affinity setting for 1/4 threads failed.
Replicas 1,2,4,5,7: WARNING: Affinity setting for 4/4 threads failed.

Load: The job was allocated 24 cores on 8 nodes. Only on first 3 nodes mpiexec was run. Each OpenMP thread uses ~20% of a CPU core.

3) -np 8 --loadbalance
Excerpts from logs:
Using 1 MPI process
Using 4 OpenMP threads
(...)
Each replica says: WARNING: Affinity setting for 3/4 threads failed.

Load: MPI processes spread evenly on all 8 nodes. Each OpenMP thread uses ~50% of a CPU core.

4) -np 8 --loadbalance, #PBS -l nodes=8:ppn=4 <== this worked ~OK with gromacs 4.6.2
Logs:
WARNING: Affinity setting for 2/4 threads failed.

Load: 32 cores allocated on 8 nodes. MPI processes spread evenly, each OpenMP thread uses ~70% of a CPU core. With 144 replicas the simulation did not produce any results, just got stuck.

Some thoughts: the main problem is most probably in the way MPI interprets the information from torque, it is not Gromacs related. MPI ignores OMP_NUM_THREADS. The environment is just broken. Since gromacs-4.6.2 behaved better than 4.6.3 there, I am coming back to it.
Best,