On 7/24/13 4:33 PM, Scott Pendley wrote:
I am fairly new to gromacs and I am trying to run a thermodynamic
integration simulation of a ligand disappearing in a box of octanol at a
single set lambda point.  I have previous successful nvt and npt runs of
this system.  When I have added the free energy portions to the input file,
I get the following error:

Fatal error:
One of the box vectors has become shorter than twice the cut-off length or
box_yy-|box_zy| or box_zz has become smaller than the cut-off.

This seems unusual.  The box dimensions are 9.45 nm x 9.45 x 9.45 nm so
that is fairly large even accounting for some shrinkage with a disappearing
ligand.

The available information suggests the system has become unstable and is imploding. See general troubleshooting information at http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/Terminology/Blowing_Up#Diagnosing_an_Unstable_System.

Cutoffs in the input file are set as follows: rlist =1.4, rvdw=1.2,
rcoulomb=1.2.  Doubling any of them would still be less than 3 nm which is
significantly smaller than the box size.  Is there anything I am missing or
any suggestions that others can give me?

I wouldn't mess with the cutoffs; they're an essential part of the force field. For further diagnostics, please consider the points above and provide your .mdp file and Gromacs version.

Justin A. Lemkul, Ph.D.
Postdoctoral Fellow

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy