Thanks James!

I was also wondering whether there is a significant penalty in performance if I use rlist=1.2 instead of rlist=1.0

There has already been a discussion in the NAMD mailing list about the VDW cutoff issue:

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/namd/mailing_list/namd-l/7551.html

It is apparently common among NAMD users to use switch for VDW between 0.8 and 1.0 nm. I have often received negative criticism from supercomputer grant reviewers whenever I suggested using a 1.0 - 1.2 switching distance for VDW and 1.2 nm for Coulomb as in their eyes a 1.0 cutoff distance is enough (when PME is in use).

Thanks!

     Gianluca