Sent from my iPhone

On Jan 1, 2011, at 11:08 AM, Sam Geeraerts <sam...@elmundolibre.be> wrote:

> Harry wrote:
>>
>> Also, regarding the signature, it's actually easy to remove, I just
>> did it on this message. You'd be surprised what one can do with an
>> iPhone - I dual boot mine with Android Froyo, have a terminal
>> emulator, etc. I also have access to Cydia, a port of APT to the
>> iPhone that works just like it does on Linux, and nothing can be
>> rejected from this because anyone can create a repository. Not to
>> mention booting almost any x86 OS like Linux or Windows 95 with
>> Bochs.
>
> But I assume you can only do those things on the alternative OS, not the OS
> that came with it.

We could really go on with this all day, but the Terminal, Cydia, and Bochs are
all done in iOS.

>> Jailbreaking is completely legal too, a DMCA exception was
>> approved specifically allowing jailbreaking and unlocking of phones.
>> Plus, I don't have to fight updates to the OS that close jailbreak
>> holes, because the smart people at the iPhone Dev Team figured out a
>> way to exploit the bootrom, which can't be fixed in a software
>> update.
>
> The fact that you have to jailbreak and exploit means that the device was
> designed to not give you the freedoms a general purpose computer (with or
> without phone capabilities) should have.

This is true. Like I said, we could go on debating this all day, and it would
probably be best to take this off the gNewSense mailing list. Email me at
habsti...@gmail.com if you want to continue discussing it.