Thanks Keith. Incoming links are OK (I am using Firefox because the
bundled version of Iceweasel just can't handle much of the stuff I get).
My problem is that the URLs in outgoing emails are not clickable -
although I understand that IPADs are clever enough to realise what they
are anyway.)
I had this problem with the version of evolution that came with my
previous version of gnewsense and the only comments I could get from the
evolution forum were that I should use a later version of evolution. I
have one - v3,10 -  but I fear problems if I attempt to install it.
The links don't even work BEFORE I send them, even if I insert them with
'Insert Link' rather than just leaving them in something that I'm
forwarding.
here's one:

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converted.html?iso=20140304T15&p1=179&p2=5

That's a valid URL, put in with 'Insert Link' but it ignores me clicking
on it and I assume it will ignore you too, unless your email client is
as clever as an IPAD.

I'll simply paste it in here:

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converted.html?iso=20140304T15&p1=179&p2=5

and that won't work either.

I think that my contacts are entitled to expect something better - and I
hate GNU/Linux looking tacky compared with their crappy microsoft
systems.

Josh.