On Mon, 12 Aug 2002, at 9:09pm, Tom Buskey wrote:
>>> My Sparc 20 had a memory error for a month because I was too lazy to shut
>>> it down & reseat the simm.  Can PCs do error correction like that?
>>
>>  Sure, with ECC RAM.  :)
>
> Which is in (just about?) every Sun system.  It's harder to find in a PC.

  It was a question of market and cost: Sun hardware was targeted at fairly
high-end uses, where pretty much anyone would want ECC RAM.  When the whole
system costs $10,000, spending $500 more on ECC RAM only makes sense.  When
the whole system costs $1500, spending $500 more on ECC RAM is a harder
decision to make.

  Today, though, ECC is fast becoming the standard in PCs.  Memories are so
large that (1) it is silly not to and (2) you pretty much need to.  More
memory makes the chances of errors statistically more likely.

> I've seen "Real Weasel" (sp?) for PCs.  It looked pretty cool.  It was
> also expensive.

  Yah, the PC Weasel and descendants were designed to retrofit serial
console support onto systems that did not have it but really needed it.
Most of the time, you just buy a motherboard with onboard serial support.

> I'm not sure, but I think NetBSD can do serial console (& install?) on a
> PC.  I think you still don't get the BIOS stuff.

  I know LILO, GRUB, and Linux all support serial console.

> Another advantage of Sun is no interrupts.  I think Macs have this too.

  Er, um, pretty much every general purpose computer I know of has
interrupts.  I know the Mac sure does.  If you mean "manual configuration of
interrupts", those went away with the ISA bus.  (People who persist in using
the ISA bus deserve what they get.)  How else will hardware signal the
processor it needs attention?

--
Ben Scott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>