>>> As mwl pointed out, it's very likely
>>> that this field is a customized field which needs to be
>>> customized by each distribution/OS maintainer to report
>>> whatever they want it to,
>>> or, it will display a default string for this field.

Yeah, I certainly agree with that and am rather astonished
to find that SuSE, for example, did NOT do this - a rather
golden opportunity for self-aggrandization and probably
very simple to do. I know that Tru64 used the original OSF
code as a basis but had to do some tweaks (for 64-bit
compatibility because of the way some of the data fields
were aligned, etc.) and to get the actual info needed.
But for the various Linux distros, the changes should be
much simpler.

Someone else wondered about the future. Well, perhaps as a
result of this, the Unified Linux or whatever that new
distro that SuSE and TurboLinux and the others are combining
and concocting will perhaps think to do something useful.

We can only hope...

Bayard