On Mon, 19 Aug 2002, at 12:09pm, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> For example, if I have a RH 6.2 system, I might well upgrade the sh-utils
> package to that which shipped with 7.3.

  Figuring out which distro "flavor" you are on (Red Hat Linux, Debian
GNU/Linux, etc.) is, I think, the most we can ask for.

  When you start asking about the release of the distro you are on, things
get rather fuzzy.  Even if you stay within Red Hat Linux 6.2, how do you
clarify the differences between RHL 6.2 with no optional packages and RHL
6.2 with everything?  How do you tell the difference between RHL 6.2 "stock"
and RHL 6.2 with all the errata updates installed?

  Once you've got the distribution question answered, the rest should really
be handled by whatever dependency management mechanisms are in place for
that distribution.  For example, first determine you are on some release of
RHL, and then use RPM to depend on initscripts or glibc or whatever.

--
Ben Scott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>