mike ledoux writes:

 > > messages (remember, this is pre-init), or scroll them back after the
 > > panic, so that I can collect better information?  Short of figuring
 > > out how to arrange for a serial console, that is.
 >
 > Shift-PgUp and Shift-PgDn still work to scroll the screen after a
 > kernel panic on my system.  Of course, if your problem really is that
 > the system can't mount the root fs, you wouldn't be getting to the point
 > where it would complain about mount points.  On my system, if I pass in
 > an invalid root= argument, I get messages like:
 >
 > VFS: Cannot open root device 16:03
 >
 > fairly early in the boot process (~3 screens down).

        Thanks!  That was what I'd thought that I'd heard.  Silly me.
I was trying PgUp.  Of course I should have realized (remembered,
anyway) that Shift is required.

        Sadly, while these keys work before the panic, they do not
work after the panic, so I'm still somewhat in the dark.  (Is that
trick of blinking caps lock and scroll lock keyboard LEDs in the
panic'ed state new?)

        Roughly reproduced, here's what still shows on the screen
in panic:

ERROR: vgscan (whatever that is) exited abnormally!
Activating logical volumes
ERROR: failed in exec of vgchange
echo: cannot open /proc/sys/kernel/real-root-dev for write: 2
Mounting root filesystem
mount: missing mount point
ERROR: failed in exec of /dev/hdd1
umount /proc failed: 22
pivotroot: pivot_root(/sysroot,/sysroot/initrd) failed: 2
ERROR: /dev/hdd1 exited abnormally!
  (yes, several of these are repeats)
umount /proc failed: 22
pivotroot: pivot_root(/sysroot,/sysroot/initrd) failed: 2
ERROR: vgchange exited abnormally!
echo: cannot open /proc/sys/kernel/real-root-dev for write: 2
Mounting root filesystem
mount: missing mount point
ERROR: failed in exec of /dev/hdd1
umount /proc failed: 22
pivotroot: pivot_root(/sysroot,/sysroot/initrd) failed: 2
ERROR: /dev/hdd1 exited abnormally!
umount /proc failed: 22
pivotroot: pivot_root(/sysroot,/sysroot/initrd) failed: 2
Freeing unused kernel memory: 280k freed
Kernel panic: No init found.  Try passing init= option to kernel.

 > My suspicion is that the kernel is finding your root filesystem just fine,
 > but there is something wrong with it.  Can you mount this filesystem
 > when you're booted into 6.2?

        There is no problem using that filesystem from 6.2.  Since
that's where the grub.conf is, that's where I've been editing it, and
the changes dutifully show up in the grub menu, so grub has no problem
accessing it either.  The /etc/fstab on that filesystem looks
unchanged (reasonable, sincd I didn't let it convert anything to ext3,
figuring that I could do that later).  The /mnt directory there is the
same (not that that has anything to do with mounting / or /proc).

        I guess that I'll see if one of the older 2.4 kernels will
work on that root filesystem.

                                                        Bill