Kevin -

Thanks for the clarification, as I generally invoke an
editor ad hoc for editing specific documents, and then
dissolve it when I'm done. If you (and other emacs users)
fire it up as part of your initial window invocations
and leave it up during your entire working session then,
yes, I can clearly see that there's no "cost" associated
with using it to check the logs. Conversely, starting up
a separate invocation of emacs just to watch the logs
seemed to me to be a bit "expensive". I apologize for the
confusion. (And, no, I don't have anything against emacs;
I've used Xemacs now and then for specific tasks, and it's
work beautifully for me).

Meanwhile, I'm off investigating 'swatch' :-).

Cheers,

Bayard