In a message dated: Fri, 20 Dec 2002 11:17:24 EST
Derek Martin said:

>Performance monitoring has always been the one area where I felt Linux
>was lacking...  I've heard roumors (from kernel hacker types) of people
>working on comprehensive performance monitoring tools, but they were
>never very specific, and I haven't found such beasts myself.  If
>someone does know of a quality tool for this on Linux, I'd definitely
>be interested myself.

Well, I've dug up a bunch of utilities I've found googling around for
such things.  Over all, I'm very impressed with the amount of data
one can get from sar, iostat, mpstat, etc.

SGI has open sourced their Performance Co-Pilot (aka PCP :)
which looks like a really cool tool, just overly complicated for what
I've been asked to look at (and, I have a sneaking suspicion, would
actually introduce extraneous load to the systems being monitored).

Most people seem disappointed when they find out there aren't any
really cool GUI apps for this akin to NT's widget.  Fortunately,
that's not at all what I'm looking  for :)  I want text-based output
I can parse with perl and dump into gnuplot in a very automated
fashion :)
--

Seeya,
Paul