Ben Boulanger wrote:

> On Mon, 2002-12-23 at 09:18, Vince McHugh wrote:
>
>> How do we re-compile the www.necs.biz apache to include mod_perl ????
>>

> You don't really need mod_perl - it's just an accelerator. Check the first
> line of the CGI to ensure that it reads something like:
> #!/usr/bin/perl
>
> where /usr/bin/perl is the location of your perl binary.
>
> Secondly, make sure this CGI is in the appropriate spot on the webserver (/cgi-bin/) - there's a binary (suexec, I believe) that can whack cgi's
> in other places - if anyone knows why this is, I'd love to hear it.
>
> Ben

Truth? Not quite. It is very possible to create a perl script that will run properly under mod_perl but not as a CGI.

Yes, mod_perl can be thought of as an accelerator but that is not all it does. It also provides a number of other useful features that you just can't get in a CGI context, such as persistent database connections.

The suggestion about using the RPMs sounds like your best bet. See where that gets you.

In wandering through the httpd.conf on my Red Hat system I see that by default it will process scripts in /var/www/perl using mod_perl. (This might be dependent on the above mentioned RPM stuff.) Besides that, you can run CGIs in any directory you choose by making the appropriate annotations in your httpd.conf file. It involves adding ExecCGI to a Directory directive. Read the Fine Manual page for specific details.

--

Dan Coutu
Managing Director